EnEnglish DeDeutsch CsČesky
UNESCO route
Sights outside the route
Information centre

Contact details

Velké náměstí 115
767 01 Kroměříž
tel.: 573 321 408
e-mail: infocentrum@mesto-kromeriz.cz

Opening hours

May – September
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat, Sun 9am - 4pm
October – April
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat, Sun 9am - 2pm


Where to go in KroměřížSights outside the route

Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary

In the 13th century, Bishop Bruno of Schauenburk ordered the building of a parish church devoted to the Virgin Mary. This originally early medieval church was plundered and burned down in 1643 when the town was occupied by Swedish armies. The only things left were the walls and a part of the tower. The church was left in that state for several years. Reconstruction started in 1651 and continued very slowly until 1675. Olomouc bishop Cardinal Wolfgang Hanibal Schrattenbach personally laid the foundation stone of the new dean church of Virgin Mary on 29th June 1724. The renovation was planned and designed by architect Ignác Josef Cyrani von Bolleshaus. The present early Gothic look of the church from the first half of the 18th century preserved a part of the original tower. The church was finished and consecrated in 1736. Since that year it has undergone a number of renovations and alterations. The church has a valuable, mostly Baroque interior. Worth noticing is the altar of Fourteen Saint Helpers which is a high-quality carving work.

More information: www.farnostpm.cz

Photo gallery

Promotion of UNESCO monuments exploitation in Kroměříž and Ružomberok – information system