EnEnglish DeDeutsch CsČesky
UNESCO route
Sights outside the route
Information centre

Contact details

Velké náměstí 115
767 01 Kroměříž
tel.: 573 321 408
e-mail: infocentrum@mesto-kromeriz.cz

Opening hours

May – September
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat, Sun 9am - 4pm
October – April
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat, Sun 9am - 2pm


Where to go in KroměřížSights outside the route

Bishop’s mint

The bishop mint was built by Olomouc Bishop Karel II of Lichtenstein-Castelkorn (1664-1695) at the very beginning of his work in Kroměříž (in 1665). It was located on the perimeter of the historical centre of the town – next to the mill. It had very modern equipment for that time, which ensured a very effective mintage. The first coins were minted here in 1666. In 1668 it burned down but was quickly rebuilt. Coins and medals were minted here between 1666 and 1759 when the mint was closed down by the decision of Maria Therese and its equipment was taken to Vienna. After abolishing the right to mint, the building was rebuilt to become a block of flats for chateau employees but it slowly decayed until the 1990’s when the building was renovated and since 1998 it has been open to the public.

The permanent exhibition in the Bishop’s Mint presents the history of mintage administered by Olomouc bishops with examples of numismatic collections and a workshop with tools and machines for minting coins and medals.

More information: www.zamek-kromeriz.cz, phone: +420 573 502 011

Photo gallery

Promotion of UNESCO monuments exploitation in Kroměříž and Ružomberok – information system