EnEnglish DeDeutsch CsČesky
UNESCO route
Sights outside the route
Information centre

Contact details

Velké náměstí 115
767 01 Kroměříž
tel.: 573 321 408
e-mail: infocentrum@mesto-kromeriz.cz

Opening hours

May – September
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat, Sun 9am - 4pm
October – April
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat, Sun 9am - 2pm


Where to go in KroměřížUNESCO Tourist Route

Archbishop wine cellars

The cellars were founded in 1266 by Bishop Bruno of Schauenburk. By decision of King Karel IV from 1345 the cellars received the right to mass produce wine according to Vatican standards. The cellars are a part of Archbishop chateau in Kroměříž, placed underground at the depth of 6.5 metres. Their area is 1030 m2 and are divided into "Horní" (Upper) and "Dolní" (Lower) cellar. In the cellars the temperature is the same all year long – between 9 °C and 11 °C. There is a suitable environment for making mass wines that are purely natural and of the highest quality. The production of wines has a centuries-old tradition and now, at the beginning of the third millennium, it has continued for 735 years. In the cellars the oldest parts of walls of the gothic castle from 13th century are preserved, the walls of the cellars are covered by fine mildew. The wine matures in historical wooden barrels of different sizes. The largest barrels can store 19 100 litres and the oldest barrel is from 1805.

Opening hours

The cellars are open to the public daily from 9:30am to 6 pm. If you order in advance, it is possible to arrange guided tours in the cellars together with mass wine tasting or with some refreshments. The current operator of the cellars is the Archbishop Chateau Wine Company Kroměříž.

More information: www.arcibiskupskevino.cz, phone: +420 573 336 922

Photo gallery

Promotion of UNESCO monuments exploitation in Kroměříž and Ružomberok – information system